Menu Close

Uplifting education together

Help us uplift the education system, one learner and school at a time!

Crew for a Cause pools the monthly donations of our members to create scholarships for promising high school learners and support struggling schools in South Africa.

  1. Choose the amount you’d like to contribute here.
  2. Receive bi-monthly updates on the scholars’ and schools’ progress.
  3. 92% of your contribution goes towards schools in need and scholars who are selected for their academic promise and strong character. Where does the other 8% go

Join the Crew. Change lives. Help us transform the education landscape.

Granting a single scholar the opportunity to access quality education can create a powerful ripple effect. It uplifts families, inspires communities and helps us take steps towards creating a prosperous nation. 

Supporting entire schools, through our partnership program, helps us have an ever bigger impact. It allows us to take steps towards achieving our ultimate goal of giving all high school learners in South Africa a quality education, so they have the best chance of fulfilling their potential.

Contribute to our education initiative today! Your small contribution will make a huge difference in many lives. 
 


The state of South Africa's schools

Our Mission

To make supporting education as easy, rewarding and transparent as possible. 

Transparent

Easy.

Our members effortlessly contribute to education with us, through monthly donations or once-off contributions. 

Rewarding

Rewarding.

We share our scholars’ and schools’ journeys openly with our members so they understand where their money is going. Our highly experienced Advisory Board ensures we partner with the most impactful organisations. 

man-playing-with-kids-in-refugee-camp

Transparent.

We understand that it’s vital we’re completely honest with our members to ensure you trust us and are confident our actions align with our values. 

Our Partners

Our story

“We started Crew for a Cause in 2017 with the idea that small contributions from many of us could make a big difference in a gifted scholar’s education. We wanted to address the inequality in education and thought that was a good place to start. We started with 15 members but soon realised we could get more people involved and build a larger community supporting education through monthly donations.  

“It’s become clear to us that many people want to contribute to education in South Africa, they just aren’t quite sure how to do it. We make it easy for them and ensure our members can see exactly where their money is going and who’s benefiting. Through partnerships and thinking long term we believe we can make a difference. Together we can uplift the education system. One learner and school at a time.”

– Matthew Koning, founder

Our Vision

To give all high school learners in South Africa a quality education, so they have the best chance of passing matric and fulfilling their potential.

Phase 1.

Grant bursaries to promising high school learners from financially disadvantaged backgrounds. We currently support 14 scholars at seven schools.

Phase 2.

Partner with organisations that are uplifting poor-performing schools to address the dramatic education inequality in South Africa.

Some of our proudest achievements

Crew-Icons-509

Member loyalty

In five years of operation, we have a 98% retention rate. 

Crew-Icons_graduate copy 3

BEE

We’re BEE compliant.

Crew-Icons_graduate copy 4

Successful bursary program

Collectively, we’ve raised over R1 million for our bursary program thus far.

Crew-Icons_graduate copy 5

Reach

Funding 14 high school scholars across 7 schools in 2022.

Crew-Icons_graduate copy

High achieving

Our scholars average around 80% academically.

Crew-Icons_graduate copy 6

Growing membership

We have 100+ monthly members.

Why?

The challenges facing our education system are too vast for the government to address on their own – the problems are too big, the system too big. And the problems are real. If we don’t improve education and create jobs, we’ll live in a state of perpetual inequality and poverty. For us to live in a more harmonious society, there’s no more pressing matter. All of us – civil society, private companies, NGOs and government – need to work together. Ultimately, we have no reason to hope unless we do something about it. Join our movement now

Our work supports four of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal:

Crew-Icons-516

Quality Education.

Crew-Icons-517

Gender Equality.

Crew-Icons-515

Reduced Inequalities.

Crew-Icons-514

Funds raised.

Join the Crew now

Joining the crew

– You can join the crew for as little as R50 a month. 

– The amount of your contribution is up to you — you decide how much and how often (monthly, annually or once-off). 

– You can pause or cancel your subscription at any time. 

– All donations are tax-deductible.

You receive:

– Updates on how the scholars are doing via newsletters and social media updates. 

– Updates on the other education-focused projects Crew for a Cause is working on. 

– Join a community passionate about improving education. 

– Invitations to great events throughout the year, such as auctions, music events, golf days and nature walks. 

– Insights into the state of the changing education landscape. 

Build your own crew.

We’ve developed a ‘pod system’ whereby members can form their own satellite crew with friends and family and you can support your own specific scholar. This is open to companies and other private organisations too. If you’d like to find out more, please email crewforacause@gmail.com. 

 92% of your contributions go toward our scholarships and school support. Where does the other 8% go